For a food company in leuven we are looking for a "Yeast & Fermentation Lab Technician."
In this job you perform laboratory fermentation trials, microbiological and biochemical tests, including specific physico-chemical in-process analyses within the fields of yeast and fermentation (Y&F) and within the framework of global strategic and exploratory projects, front-end innovations and global brewing development projects. You also assist in the development/optimization/validation trials of new laboratory methodologies and capabilities for the exploration and screening of yeasts/ brewing micro-organisms.
- Accurately perform lab scale fermentation experiments & trials following the established DOE (Design Of Experiment) and according to good laboratory practices and internal standards and procedures.
- Accurately perform specific microbiological/ molecular biological / biochemical tests according to the established laboratory procedures and protocols.
- Accurately perform specific physico-chemical analyses on in-process or final lab trial liquids.
- Actively participate in the development and optimization of lab methodologies/capabilities, executing DOE's of basic complexity.
- Apply aseptic techniques to ensure quality in the culturing / propagation of yeasts / micro-organisms for lab scale experiments and/or pilot trials.
- Prepare and plan analyses and experiments within the scheduled time frame.
- Apply good laboratory practices & standards to ensure accuracy and quality in trial/experiment execution & to guarantee reliability of results.
- Record laboratory trial data/ results and write trial reports following the Yeast and Fermentation Lab Report system.
- Ensure that lab equipments are functional / calibrated through verification, troubleshooting as needed.
- Ensure that laboratory glassware is cleaned and sterilised following established procedures and protocols.
- Ensure daily transport between the labs.
- 50% lab + 50% logistics ( logistics of samples, delivering samples, creating stock solutions )
- Professional Bachelor's in a relevant applied science or laboratory discipline (Molecular Biology, Biotechnology and/or Biochemistry).
- Previous professional experience in a development or research lab, in the area of microbiology, analytical science in food chemistry, biotechnology and/or brewing science.
- Experience and/or familiarity with conventional microbiological techniques, aseptic good laboratory practices and fermentation technology are essential.
- Fluency in English (written / spoken), other language skills constitute an additional asset
- PC literate: advanced knowledge of standard software programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Effective oral & written communication skills.
- Proficient in hands-on lab microbiology and aseptic working.
- Team player with good interpersonal skills and flexibility to adapt to a fast-changing environment.
- Result-oriented with respect for quality and timing and attention to detail.Capable to independently plan, organize and execute lab trials and experiments.
- Ability to execute lab analyses with a high level of accuracy and critical assessment of performance.
- Driver's license B
- 18 ADV days
Existing right to work in Europe required ( please read job spec in full before applying ).